Directions to the Crosier Generalate and Community
While we are located at the historic center, we are tucked away in a quiet area of Rome, under the Palatine Hill, near the Circus Maximus, and just off the Pizza della Bocca della Verità. So, sometimes it is difficult to find us located next to the ancient basilica of San Giorgio in Velabro. The directions and links below should assist you in visiting our community whether by walking, public transportation, taxi or car.
Arriving from Fiumicino (Leonardo di Vinci) Airport
We recommend the train for travel from the airport to the center of the city.
- At the airport, follow the signs for the Train Station. Take the train bound for Orte or for Fara Sabina (not for Termini, the main train station). You may purchase a ticket (approximately € 8) from the ticket booth, or from one of the automatic machines. Be certain to time stamp (convalidate) the ticket in one of the small yellow boxes near the entrance to the platform. This is important.
- Exit the train at Stazione Ostiense. You may travel to Via del Velabro 19 by either taxi or bus. Both are waiting in front of the station.
- If you choose to travel by bus, you will need to purchase your ticket (€ 1.50) in the station (e.g., where cigarettes are sold) or from a machine in the piazza in front of the station. We recommend Bus #83. You will find the starting point for this bus in the row of busses parked in the piazza in front of the station. If a #83 is not in the row, wait near the sign indicating #83. This is a starting point for the bus, so if one is there, board it and wait for it to leave. Note: on the street, near the bus stop #83, there is also a bus stop (on the street on the other side of the parking lot and bus terminal piazza) for two other buses that go near us: #30 or #130. Both of these buses pass by this bus stop and end up at the same location as bus #83.
- When you board the bus, be certain to convalidate your ticket in one of the yellow and grey machines near the doors of the bus. This is important.
- It is only a short ride on Bus 83 to the stop at Piazza della Bocca della Verità. This stop is marked on the map above. When you leave the bus, locate the large four-sided arch across the piazza. This is the Arco di Giano, and Via del Velabro, and our church and residence, are located just behind it. Use the stairs on the left as you face the arch.
- We have also experienced good economical service from the Rome Airport Shuttle. You can find them on the web at www.romashuttle.com.
Arriving from Ciampino Airport
There is a special bus service from Ciampino Airport to Termini, Rome's main train station.
- Purchase the tickets for this bus either at a counter outside the arrivals area at the airport, or during flights on RyanAir arriving at Ciampino.
- Once you arrive at Termini, follow the instructions below for using the #170 Bus to reach Via del Velabro.
Arriving from Termini (the main train station)
You may travel either by taxi or by bus from the main train station.
- If you choose to travel by taxi, be certain to use one of the white metered taxis waiting in the taxi stand outside the main doors of the train station.
- If you choose to travel by bus, you will need to purchase your ticket before you board. They are available in the station, and in many small stands around the piazza in front of the station. We recommend Bus #170. When you leave the main doors of the station, you will see many busses lined up in rows to your left. As you pass the rows of busses, Bus #170 is one of the busses nearer to the station. The train station is a starting point for this bus, so when you find it, board and wait for it to leave.
- When you board the bus, be certain to convalidate your ticket in one of the yellow and gray machines near the doors of the bus. This is important.
- The bus will travel down Via Nazionale, and will then come to Piazza Venezia (which contains a large white monument affectionately know as "The Wedding Cake"). The third stop after leaving Piazza Venetia is Piazza della Bocca della Verità. As you exit the bus, turn around, and you will see the large four-sided Arco do Giano across the Piazza. Via del Velabro, and our church and residence, are located just behind it. Use the stairs on the left as you face the arch.
Arriving by Bus or Metro
Many bus lines pass the bus stops near our community.
- Piazza della Bocca della Verità or by the city buildings (bus stop: Petroselli) including numbers 30, 44, 81, 83, 130, 160, 170, and 628.
- When you exit your bus, walk to the Piazza della Bocca della Verità. If you stand facing the church with the tall tower (S. Maria in Cosmedin), with your back to the Tiber, and look to your left, you will see the large four-sided Arco do Giano across the Piazza. Via del Velabro, and our church and residence, are located just behind it. Use the stairs on the left as you face the arch.
- The nearest Metro stop is Circo Massimo. When you exit the Metro there, you must walk to the other end of Circo Massimo, towards the river. When you reach the other end, turn right, and you will be on Via S. Teodoro. Walk past S. Anastasia on your right to the next corner, which is Via del Velabro. Our residence is on the corner, at number 19.
Arriving by Car
You must approach Via del Velabro by Via S. Teodoro, which is a one-way street.
- Begin by driving along side the Campdoglio, towards S. Maria della Consolazione. The street jogs left and continues to the right past the Foro Romano. After another right curve, it becomes Via S. Teodoro, and runs along the Palatino towards Circo Massimo.
- You will soon find Via del Velabro on the right. There is parking (metered) on Via S. Teodoro, but none on Via del Velabro. Our residence is on the corner, at number 19.